amcab’s contracts with private childcare providers to team up with in order to provide the extra help that children and their families may need to succeed. Childcare contractors partnering with Head Start will provide the following required elements of the program:
- Develop lesson plans that include developmentally appropriate activities.
- Conduct at least two home visits and two conferences per year for each child.
- Provide parent education and support.
- Participate in training, including CDA if necessary.
- Oversee medical, dental, vision and hearing screenings on each enrolled child.
- Observe and assess child’s progress to incorporate individual needs into lesson planning.
The contractor will receive from the amcab staff:
- Support for all aspects of programming with additional outside resources for families and special needs children.
- Financial compensation for each enrolled Head Start child.
- Additional equipment, books, videotapes, supplies and materials for children and parents.
- Opportunities to meet with other contractors at meetings and trainings to share ideas, concerns and best practices.
This program also supports parents in their efforts to nurture and assist in their child’s development. Parents are encouraged to participate as policy makers and volunteers. Family strengths are identified and parents receive guidance to help deal with possible concerns. Children receive consistent, loving care in an exciting learning environment.
Benefits for the Child
Head Start Childcare Partnership enables children to remain at their childcare site while experiencing the benefits of Head Start. Consistent care helps children to develop healthy relationships with their primary caregiver. This sets the stage for healthy emotional attachments. Medical and dental screenings are required for each child in the program. These can be funded by Head Start if the child is not insured. Other screenings and follow-ups are also available to ensure the over-all healthy development of the child.